Engaging with clinicians is fundamental to ensuring that SNOMED CT is, and continues to be, fit to support clinical practice. The vision of clinical engagement is "To ensure that all activities of the SNOMED International are influenced by global clinical communities” and “SNOMED International’s culture has a progressive and sustainable approach to engaging clinicians”.
- The benefits of supporting clinical engagement are:
- Informing direction of SNOMED International products and services
- Improving quality, and thus clinical usability and acceptability, of SNOMED International products and services, based on clinical knowledge and expertise
- Identification of clinical champions who support and endorse the implementation of SNOMED CT and related products and services
- Promote collaboration between international healthcare professional groups that improve SNOMED International products and services
Clinical Reference Groups
Clinical input to support the development of SNOMED CT is delivered through Clinical Reference Groups. These groups are focused on clinical specialities, with each specialty are having its own Confluence based site. Each site supports discussion and knowledge sharing. Access to the Clinical Reference Groups is though a central Confluence portal focused on clinical engagement activities:
Clinical Engagement Strategy
The SNOMED International Clinical Engagement Strategy sets out the organisation's approach to engaging with clinicians and clinical groups. It provides a framework for engagement activities, and details how clinical input will be provided to ensure that SNOMED CT meets the requirement of clinicians, and remains clinically relevant in the changing face of healthcare.
- To ensure that all SNOMED International activities are influenced by global clinical communities
- SNOMED International’s culture has a progressive and sustainable approach to engaging clinicians