What is SNOMED CT?
- Is the most comprehensive, multilingual clinical healthcare terminology in the world
- Is a resource with comprehensive, scientifically validated clinical content
- Enables consistent, processable representation of clinical content in electronic health records
- Is mapped to other international standards
- Is already used in more than fifty countries
When implemented in software applications, SNOMED CT can be used to represent clinically relevant information consistently, reliably and comprehensively as an integral part of producing electronic health information. SNOMED CT supports the development of comprehensive high-quality clinical content in health records. It provides a standardized way to represent clinical phrases captured by the clinician and enables automatic interpretation of these. SNOMED CT is a clinically validated, semantically rich, controlled vocabulary that facilitates evolutionary growth in expressivity to meet emerging requirements. SNOMED CT based clinical information benefits individual patients and clinicians as well as populations and it supports evidence based care.
The use of an Electronic Health Record (EHR) improves communication and increases the availability of relevant information. If clinical information is stored in ways that allow meaning-based retrieval, the benefits are greatly increased. The added benefits range from increased opportunities for real time decision support to more accurate retrospective reporting for research and management.
To access the SNOMED CT Starter Guide please click the following link: http://snomed.org/sg