Translations of SNOMED CT
SNOMED CT is the global clinical terminology, but in order for it to come into common use around the world and consequently launch the improvement in interoperability and healthcare, it benefits from being translated into local languages.
Other than the English language primary release format of SNOMED CT (the SNOMED CT International release), only a Spanish translation is managed directly by SNOMED International. There are also a number of translations of SNOMED CT which are managed by Member territories. These have been created according to the SNOMED International translation principles and access to these translations can be retrieved through the relevant National Release Center.
As SNOMED International's membership continues to grow, many more non-English speaking countries are joining and the desire for translations is increasing. For some, the need for translation may be a barrier to adopting SNOMED CT and becoming a Member of SNOMED International. We therefore supports Member translations of SNOMED CT through guidance and financial support.
Our Members have created and continue to maintain a number of National Extensions and translations, including:
- Australia: SCT AU, National Extension including Australian English
- Canada: SCT CA, National Extension including English and French components
- Denmark: SCT DK, National Extension including a full Danish translation
- Netherlands: SCT NL, National Extension including a Dutch translation
- Spain: SCT ES, National Extension including European Spanish
- Sweden: SCT SE, National Extension including a full Swedish translation
- United Kingdom: SCT UK, National Extension including UK English
- United States: SCT US, National Extension
Interested in working on a SNOMED CT translation? Please contact the appropriate Member(s). If there is none, then please encourage your country/territory to seek membership. SNOMED International is a Member-owned and operated organization and authorized translations may only be coordinated and maintained by Members.